When patients decide to go under the knife for a plastic surgery procedure, they know they are making an investment of time, money and energy to achieve the results they desire. While it takes a skilled surgeon to achieve great results, the patient plays a crucial role in successful outcomes. As a patient, you can maintain or prolong your plastic surgery results by following these five simple steps:
- Keep your incisions out of the sun. Protecting your skin from the sun’s damaging UVA and UVB rays is important in general, but it’s especially important if you are a surgical patient. Sun exposure can darken scars permanently, so it’s important that you protect your incisions from the sun and apply sunscreen to exposed skin.
- Use good skin care products. In addition to using sunscreen when outside to protect your incision scar from becoming discolored, you will want to follow a good skin care routine. Usually, patients have a good skin care routine before surgery, but the surgical team may have recommendations for additional products to incorporate into your routine for maximum results or may suggest removing products that don’t benefit your skin goals. Medical-grade skincare products are often recommended for maximum results.
- Stay hydrated and eat a healthy diet. Drinking plenty of water is important to your overall health, but it’s also crucial to the health and youthful appearance of your skin. Consuming a healthy diet is also important to overall health but will maximize your plastic surgery results.
- Exercise regularly. A good diet and regular exercise are great ways to maintain a healthy weight. Often, if you gain weight after a body contouring procedure such as liposuction or tummy tuck surgery, you risk expanding fat cells and stretching skin and reversing your results. This may lead to the need for an additional surgery to achieve your goals.
- Have a healthy outlook. Being in the right state of mind and having a healthy outlook for realistic outcomes will benefit you greatly. While you can’t stop the aging process or change your genes, if you focus on what you can control and focus on a healthy lifestyle, you will have great results for years to come.
If you are interested in scheduling a plastic surgery consultation, call our office at 801-571-2020 today.